Total Pageviews

Thursday, February 16, 2012

Getting over the flu.

This was a nasty one and I hardly get sick. I wouldn't be surprised if worry and stress had something to do with it. So I'm eating my way better. For the last three days I've been putting in a fresh 1-inch knob of ginger into my smoothies. Ming Tsai (celebrity chef) cooked a big immune booster soup on Dr. Oz this morning and he swore by ginger, jalapenos, garlic, and shiitake mushrooms. Since this blog is about food and mood I want to elaborate on garlic. From personal experimenting, I only smell garlic through my pores when I eat it roasted. When I started on the raw eating kick I ate a ton of raw garlic and no complaints from myself nor my friends and co-workers, unless they were just being polite, but I don't think I smelled bad. Unless you beg to differ please tell me. About a month ago I ate 1/2 of a roasted garlic bulb and the next day my boyfriend said I smelled like ammonia. I was scared to eat any garlic for weeks. However raw garlic has saved me from many a cold (especially with tomatoes, raw or in a soup). I also have all the ingredients except for garlic for Giada's white bean and tomato soup recipe, so I may have to grab some. The cold does seem to be on it's way out though. I did get a cold sore under my nose on Valentine's Day. Great timing! I was so fed up with the illness that I sweat my butt off this morning. I am attempting to sweat it out. I don't feel any worse. Don't call me stupid. (Yes that is A Fish Called Wanda reference) Then I made a blueberry, pear, mixed greens, cilantro, ginger, and coconut oil smoothie. I also ate a hard boiled egg. Ha ha speaking of going out to get garlic the new Harmon's downtown just opened so I have a strategy. I'm going to shop at the newest Whole Foods in hopes that it will be dead and everyone will be at the new Harmon's. It did mellow out after about three months after opening though. I still feel clever.

Well, here's to health and remember: Food IS medicine! Take care of yourself, sick or not.

Smobergirl

No comments:

Post a Comment