Total Pageviews

Thursday, October 13, 2011

Making my father proud.

I don't know if you are like this but I've always struggled to make my father happy. However, part of this was me being a perfectionist. Finances have EVERYTHING to do with it. I never made enough (there is exactly no money in radio unless you are the owner or perhaps the morning show so don't get me started), the guys I dated never made enough, he asked me to take over his business or be a lawyer like my half-sister, which both were not in my league nor interest; and even as a small celebrity he kept bugging me to quit and get a job at KSL. Oh, okay Dad. However, there was one thing he was so proud of, which was me on stage. He was there right when plays ended and he'd tell me how good I was, even when I thought I stunk. He'd embarrass me in junior high when I was Kim MacAfee in Bye Bye Birdie when he stood up and waved during my solo in "Got A Lot Of Livin' To Do". So flash-forward to present day. I got the PCTV job. It's just what I wanted, part-time with perks, booking and interviewing most of the music talent. And my father watches every night. Every single damn night. I felt horrible going to John Waters this evening so he couldn't see me on the TV. He just loves it, and calls me before and after every show. He just loves it. I have not felt this love since acting at Desert Star Playhouse in the 90s when he'd drag my step-fam to every show. This touches my heart more than anything. He didn't give a damn about my corporate radio days. He hated that music anyway too. But he loves seeing me. That means the world.


Love,

Smobergirl

Day 515, and 17 months in four days.

No comments:

Post a Comment