Total Pageviews

Monday, August 24, 2009

Day 3 summary. Peer pressure....

.....ha ha no not drinking, fortunately. I'm talking sushi. Not your 'healthy' innocent fish and seaweed Asian staple that keeps those on the other side of the globe healthy. I'm talkin' evil tempura, mayonnaise-laden, cream cheese living, Americanized version of sushi. It's sick! My brother travels the world. He went to China, Thailand, Vietnam...and the sushi he had was 2 pieces of fish plain per order. That's why the Asians are so svelt.

(Smobergirl's high horse time) I'm just sad because here's our country, who has approximately 60% obese in the population. I also believe that money makes the world go round. So here's this thing called sushi. The elites are digging it, it's becoming popular in the US, but not all Americans would like just the raw fish ordeal or can afford it. Some chefs possibly played around with it and made a "Philly" roll with salmon and cream cheese. Then they grilled chicken or steak and put BBQ sauce in it. That's a burger in a roll! However, We patriots loved these ideas, but then thought this would be healthy because it's sushi, right? Now there are sushi joints popping up all over the place, even drive-thrus!

So what I am saying is that you have to wizen up and be your own detective on everything in your life. You are not stupid, and it's easy to take care of your own body.

Love,

~Smobergirl
3 days smober


So a good friend invited me to Ichiban, where they have certain rolls 1/2 off on Mondays and Tuesdays. There, you are greeted by a super-model looking hostess and hot college kids are all around you dining. The place is gorgeous. Wood floors and cosy booths and aquariums and glass walls. So I meet my friends, and on the 1/2 off menu everything is tempura-dipped. Tempura Shrimp, tempura veggies, wait there's one with no tempura: Spicy mayo. Damn. So, I look at the regular menu and there are plenty of healthy options, even riceless rolls starting at $8. Then my friend, let's call him Pinky, says, "No, Pick from the happy hour menu, we are all sharing." The happy hour rolls are $4-6. So I choose a roll with tuna, avo, spicy mayo, and tempura crunchies without the crunchies and mayo, and a $4 appetizer, fried vegan curry roll and eat out just the inside part. My friends egged on that I should eat the others, and I did, trying to pick put the good parts. There was one tempura roll with fresh tuna and avocado on top, and I just ate the toppings. However, I gave in to one slice of a fried shrimp, like the French do. They eat fatty food, but just a tad. Then I had to leave early because they ordered another round, and I knew I was done.

So I did pretty well over all.

I'm still frustrated about my arms. I don't know anyone but myself who is skinny with 'obese' arms. I have yet to figure this out. When I'm on TV, I look fat because I'm usually filmed from the waist up, and you can't hide your arms. My waist is little, my butt and legs are kickin', but what the f*** about my arms? Those got big in college when I started drinking coffee, so, maybe I should cut the coffee down more, drink more tea, and do more arm weight lifting. It just frustrates me so much. I'm skinny, but I have these Hulk arms that are pissing me off!

On another note, I watched Scream again tonight. I don't like horror, but I could handle the Scream movies. You know what? This first one I saw again was a good one. Because I saw it before, I tried to see the clues to the killers. Because I love mystery murders, which these are. The high school girl gets killed (Drew Barrymore) and it's the former girlfriend of one possible killer, who says it doesn't matter if you kill your girlfriend, who the current gf dies later, which should give you the hint, but the movie wants you to believe that the other murder's daughter's father is the culprit. In the first scene after Drew gets killed, the leading lady's bf enters her window to comfort her. I thought, "That's the guy!" But if you haven't seen the Scream movies, I won't ruin it for you.

So back to reality. I didn't drink or smoke, but ate as well as I could during fried sushi night, oy. And here is day 3 behind me.

Bon nuit!

~Smobergirl

2 comments:

  1. OK Miss Portia... I have to throw in my two cents here, and that's probably all it's worth. I think you are WAY too hard on yourself. Guess what? The Japanese do eat tempura and they do have fried foods and they eat a ton of rice. I know. I was over there for 2 months on an exchange trip and gained 10 pounds. Why did I gain 10 pounds? Because I didn't do it in moderation like they do and because I didn't walk and bike everywhere like they do. I remember going to orientation and all the girls thought "Cool. We're going to Japan. We're going to eat fish and rice and lose 30 pounds." And the orientation instructors told us, "Yeah right. The food is fantastic. You'll gain weight." And we all did. Now, of course, they don't have all the bastardized rolls that we have, but I will tell you every morning I had miso soup and rice for breakfast and their bread was freakin' fantastic.
    So, bottom line, please, please, please stop being so hard on yourself. And, while I am at it... I will try and take my own advice and stop being so hard on myself too. (I would kill to be a size 6 you silly girl!)
    Love you and sending you good vibes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Natalie! You are right, I am such a perfectionist, it can get in the way of reality. I really appreciate your comment!

    ~Smobergirl

    ReplyDelete