Total Pageviews

Sunday, July 25, 2010

Cheapy price




When I was 14 the fam went to Hong Kong for one of my father's business trips. We went through the city and a lot of store owners were yelling out to us, "Come in! Cheapy price!". I have never forgotten that. So I went to the Asian market today to get bok choy for the smoothies (YES. That's what the German therapist said to eat along with the kale in the shake. Ew. And until now I've been afraid to do it.) Really, bok choy is very mild and full of water, so it will probably taste pretty good in the smoothies. So I went to the huge Asian market on 900 south between 4th and 5th east in Salt Lake and I'm like, "screw the farmer's market!" j/k (kind of). I found a big kohlrabi for .45, a bag of 6 bok choys for $1.89, and bags of herbs for .99 each. Gold mine! Oh and 5 limes for a buck and three lemons for the same. And I found this crazy cute porcelain jar for $6.99. In these Asian markets they usually have really great gift ideas that you wouldn't expect to find, like bowls and decorative chopstick holders and unique figurines for really cheap(y). So my friend who is really sweet but she has this slight gothic side is coming to visit me in a week and this pot is perfect. It has this delicate flower pattern on it, with two little bats! yeah, bats. It's adorable.

So it looks like I'll just be going here for my mint and basil and citrus (and kolhrabi, none of this $3 a bulb shenanigans at the markets anymore). I love the farmer's markets and what they stand for, but they can be spendy price! And there is nothing wrong with saving. If I wanted to be a detective I could ask the Asians where they get their produce, but it looks pretty amazing to me so far. And I really don't want to turn into an organic/local Nazi by all means. I just want to be healthy. Plus I just like exploring. If you do go to the farmer's market I like to look at everything first, then buy. Someone's bag of cherries may be $1 or two less than the tent next to it. Be a detective. That's a good motto.

~Smobergirl

No comments:

Post a Comment