Total Pageviews

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

The caffeine dilemma



I have a love/irritable relationship with iced coffee. Sometimes it perks me up, other times it makes me grumpy and irritable. In the past I felt pretty satisfied having a 12-oz glass in the afternoon, but usually I 'have to have one' first thing in the morning. I've been drinking iced coffee seriously for 19 years. I consider it a sport. The irony is, for about six years I've had a stocked pantry of teas, in hopes to make a permanent or 'upgrading' switch-over. I kinda had the goal to quit coffee after a month smober, and here I am. It's time to get out of my comfort zone and experiment.

One of the holistic therapists I worked with (Morgan Spurlock's wife, Alex Jamison) told me to gradually add Teechino, a caffeine-free herbal coffee substitution made with barley, gradually to coffee more every week. I think it's delicious and I didn't miss the caffeine before when I tried it years ago. I just caved back in a few months after, I think mainly because it's so readily available to buy. Coffee shops are everywhere! So I'm trying this again, then when I'm done I plan to buy iced tea at coffee shops if I want that social experience. This is what you do: Brew 3/4 coffee to 1/4 Teechino for a week. The next week do 1/2 and 1/2. Then the next week 3/4 Teechino to 1/4 coffee, eventually going to 100% Teechino.


I just saw a recipe for cherry mojitos on one of Giada's show. Here's my virgin version:

1 cup ice
1 cup frozen pitted cherries
1 tsp agave or honey (or to tate)
Juice of 3 limes
Small handful of mint
1 cup chilled water

Blend everything and garnish with one fresh cherry. I think mineral water would be nice with this too instead of plain water.

Smobergirl

No comments:

Post a Comment