Total Pageviews

Sunday, November 8, 2009

Still up.


Can't sleep. I'll tell you my silly 5th grade story. :)

I told y'all before that I had a hard time with school. Apparently my parents said I was a literal genius baby. I read the newspaper when I was two which I don't remember. Then my mother told me when I was six my dad had my dentist put me on 'laughing gas' which she opposed to, and I don't remember that either, and "everything went downhill from there." Nice motherly talk, eh? I had to stay numerous times after school in the first grade studying, and crying, in the classroom. In the fourth grade I couldn't engage in several extra-curricular activities but stay in class by myself and study. Fifth grade comes along and the class was sent to the library to pick a book out to do a book report. That's when I stumbled on a children's book of plays. Karma? Maybe. I asked the teach if I could direct and star in a play instead. That's when I started a crazy trend that made me popular for about six months. The play was Pippi Longstocking. It went so well that we performed it for the first graders. Then everyone wanted to do a play! So that was my acting debut and that year I also found Devo's "New Traditionalists" album on vinyl. A buddy of mine and I were in jazz classes together out of school, and instructed aerobics routines at our school gym to "We're Through Being Cool" and "Whip It". The next grade I discovered that cool radio station I mentioned earlier. When I was 14, I had a birthday party where I wanted to film my first home-made music video on the family camcorder to Art Of Noise's "Close To The Edit". And funny how their album cover has drama masks. My best friend at the time and I had fabulous ideas, but we didn't realize all the takes we had to make (I wanted them perfect) and an hour later on the first scene my mom just said, "Who wants to go to Lagoon?". Lagoon is a local theme park. I went on to Theater School For Youth, a Summer camp at the U for four years, and attended regionals and state drama meets in high school. Then I was a theater major in college, and dropped out before I graduated because I got a full-time overnight job at the radio station. However, thinking all these years that I was 'stupid' because of my grades and nerdyness, I hardly was a dumbass. And I still don't like to read the newspaper. :)

~Smobergirl

No comments:

Post a Comment